Saturday, November 8, 2008

First day carrying out my new mantra

So... I just exercised. Thirty minutes of intense activity. It was so exhilarating and it felt so good!! The thing about exercise is that I make it worse than it actually is. I think I've set the standard so high that I couldn't follow it, so I considered myself a failure. About two years ago, I was obsessed with the gym; I was consistent for a whole year. My plan was cardio for an hour six days a week and weight lifting for an hour three times a week. I was in the gym almost everyday. It was hard to maintain, and during my finals, I stopped going. When I tried going to the gym again that was the standard, and when I couldn't do it, it was so discouraging to me that I stopped altogether. Since then, I've had trouble getting back into the mix. So today when I exercised just now, I realized what I loved about the gym a couple of years ago. It was the idea of pushing myself and the feeling I had after a workout. I didn't do the whole hour of cardio, and I didn't do the exercises I used to do, but I had fun! So the tip I can share with everyone is make exercise work for you. Pick activities that you like, not what you think is good or what you've read about. For me, I don't like doing the same exercises for long periods of time. It's just boring. What I tried today is sprinting on the treadmill until I didn't feel like it anymore, until I was bored. Then I did jump ropes or jumping jacks to keep my heart rate up. Then I would go back and sprint on the treadmill again. Because I exerted so much effort, I finished in thirty minutes. I suggest doing cardio exercises until boredom sets in and switching to another one. It makes thirty minutes go by faster. Exercise is more manageable when it's fun, so the more you like something the more you'll do it. Good luck!!!

No comments: